Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Block One - Log Cabin

After gathering all the supplies I'll need for my quilting quest, I decided to start on the first block. I took a little shortcut on this block and bought a jelly roll. A jelly roll is comprised of strips of fabric, usually 2.5" wide and approximately 44" long all rolled together. I like using jelly rolls because it saves me from having to cut all those strips and I get a great selectin of fabric, that all coordinates with each other, for a great price. I actually found my jelly roll at AC Moore. It was $12.99 but I used a 50% off coupon, so it was only $6.50! Talk about quilting on a budget! I followed the fantastic instructions in the blog, cut the strips to the proper lengths and started sewing. Halfway through the block, I realized I missed cutting one strip and the whole block was botched! I had to start over. I am learning quickly to read every detail thoroughly. Once I had all the strips cut, I then followed the sewing an pressing pattern until the block was complete. I really LOVE the patterns and colors in the jelly roll. I can't wait to start on the second block!

Below: completed first block and pretty fabrics from the jelly roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment